Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Bees-honey or not

When I see honey bees in the yard, I imagine they are visiting from the hives that are about a mile from my house. The honey man assures me its quite likely his bees are visiting my trees. This got me thinking about the amazing nature of honey.
This gallon of honey is roughly the life's work of 9216 bees. To make it they flew more than 660,000 miles and visited more than 24 million flowers. All this at about 15 miles per hour. The work involved is nearly incomprehensible to me. Whenever I drink my tea or eat my strawberry jam, sweetened with honey, I feel deeply appreciative and privileged.
To read more about these bees, which are native to almost all 50 states and Canada west of the Rocky Mountains, check out Brian Grifin's book "The Orchard Mason Bee". And consider letting your dandelions grow. My bees get loads of pollen from the dandelions which litter my yard. Even I enjoy eating the flowers.





No comments: